How is responsibility allocated?
Responsibilities for the Board:
- Prevent fire by ensuring that systematic fire protection(SBA)is complied with. Here you can appoint a fire protection officer who coordinates the fire protection in the property.
- Supervision of the property’s fire protection equipment, keep track of the fire technical installations available, and carry out annual inspections.
- Working smoke detectors both in common areas such as laundry room, stairwells, overnight rooms, attics, basement storage and garbage room.
- A recommendation is that the board make a joint purchase of smoke detectors for all apartments and make sure that the correct installation is carried out, for everyone’s safety.
Responsibilities of resident:
Fire protection measures:
- Working smoke detectors both in apartment and private storage room.
- Do not store combustible material in escape routes.
- Explosive and flammable goods must be stored in the specified manner and in specified quantities.
- Know how you can perform ́hot work ́ such as welding, etc. and rules for grilling on a balcony.
In the case of subletting, it is the responsibility of the condominium holders to ensure that the required fire protection measures are met.
To follow the rules that exist for fire protection in the association’s common space and meeting rooms.
Suggested control procedures:
- Check that escape routes are not blocked, that they are free of combustible material and are marked with signs.
- If it starts to burn; Save-Alert-Notify 112-Extinguish!
- Collection point in case of evacuation. Recommendation to conduct periodic fire drills.
- The existence of hand fire extinguishers in stairwells, laundry rooms and attic
- Fire cell boundaries, make sure that all doors/portals are equipped with working door closers and close tightly. Penetrations in the fire cell boundary ex tubes are sealed with approved sealing material.
- Fire gas ventilation, check that smoke hatches open, exhaust fans start, supply air fans start/open and that control and control functions are working properly.
For more detailed information please visit and read at the following link.
Some of this information is taken from the link above from msb -Authority for Community Protection and Preparedness on “Fire safety in apartment buildings”.